Yae (Japanese: 八重), also known as Guuji Yae or the Guuji, is a mentioned character in Genshin Impact. While she is not currently directly mentioned by any characters in-game, she has been mentioned in official media text and the Chinese Version 1.5 Special Program.
Yae is the Guuji (Japanese: 宮司 Guuji, "chief priest") of the Grand Narukami Shrine, which she oversees. She is mentioned by the Raiden Shogun when the Archon speaks of Zhongli. She is an "old friend" of Morax and Baal, and is acquainted with Ganyu.
Yae has purple eyes and long, muted pink hair that is tied at the bottom. She has fox-like ears. Yae wears a unique and stylized variation of clothing inspired by the colors of a shrine priestess's traditional outfit. She wears a golden head accessory accompanied by golden earrings with embedded purple jewels.
- In the Genshin Impact 2020 New Years tweet, Yae welcomed Ayaka to her shrine as the first guest of the year.
- While the Chinese, Japanese, and French media mentioned Yae while introducing Zhongli, the English Genshin Impact Twitter decided to leave her name out.
- She may be affiliated with the Inazuman publishing industry, Yae Publishing House, as they both share the same characters for "Yae."
- She has been addressed as a fox, and seems to have non-human ears. This may imply that she is related to or is a fox or a kitsune.
- Yae's name is likely a reference to the shrine priestess from Honkai Impact 3rd, Yae Sakura, as the two share a plethora of connections:
- The two share the same characters for their surname, Yae.
- They are both shrine priestesses associated with foxes.
- Yae Sakura is of Japanese origin, and Inazuma is Japanese-themed.
- They are both voiced by Du Mingya in Chinese.
- They have very similar appearance, including long pink hair and purple eyes.