Wind Currents, also referred to as Upcurrents and Updrafts, create an updraft which players can use as a jumping point to start gliding, gain altitude while gliding, or restore some Stamina while gliding.
Some devices can create temporary wind currents. All Anemo Ambers and some Anemo Monuments, Windmill Mechanisms, and Pressure Plates create Wind Currents when activated. Anemograna, as well as the gadget Wind Catcher, can also be used to create temporary Wind Currents.
While gliding around mountains in Liyue, the player may occasionally be boosted into the air by a Wind Current that randomly spawns on their location. These random currents are temporary, and despawn soon after.
The player consumes no stamina while gliding through them, thus allowing the player to 'rest' at the top to regain stamina. Temporary upcurrents can be created by collecting Anemograna, by using gadgets such as a Wind Catcher or with characters such as Venti.
The Wind Ring Balloon can create a wind current flowing downward.
- Many Wind Currents can be found at fixed locations in Stormterror's Lair. The updrafts are temporary but recurring.
- Wind Currents that last briefly manifest periodically in Huaguang Stone Forest and the larger Minlin region under gliding players.
- There is a tall wind current south of Vennessa's tree at Windrise. Occasionally, Pudgy Pyrotechnicians will be located at this wind current.
- There is a temporary but recurring tall wind current on the rocks in the southeastern part of Falcon Coast at sea level, near the entrance to Lost Treasure of Arcadia (the Story Domain in Kaeya's Story Quest, Pavo Ocellus Chapter, Act I). There are also Anemo Rings that can boost the player higher than the wind current.
- There is a tall wind current leading to the Wormhole at Cape Oath.
Wind Currents also feature extensively in domains:
- The Reward for Courage is Flight (Amber's Story Quest Domain)
- The Wonderful World Of Mr. Cyclops (Tartaglia's Story Quest Domain)
- Twisted Realm (Energy Amplifier Initiation Event Domain)