The Unknown God is the mysterious god responsible for separating the Traveler from their sibling at the start of Genshin Impact. She appears in the opening cutscene in which the Traveler tells Paimon how they ended up stranded in Teyvat.
When the Traveler and their sibling attempted to leave Teyvat, the unknown god blocked their path. Calling herself the "Sustainer of Heavenly Principles," she denounced the "arrogation of mankind," and engaged the twins in battle. She summons swarms of dark red cubes to attack them, (similar to the dark red cubes that ravaged Khaenri'ah,) and upon trapping them engulfs the twins individually within her cubes.
Upon being completely engulfed by her powers, the Traveler fell into a deep sleep and experienced countless nightmares. Once they awoke an unknown amount of time later, their powers had been sealed away and they found no trace of their sibling.
- The Unknown God bears a striking resemblance to Kiana Kaslana as the Herrscher of the Void, who comes from another miHoYo game, Honkai Impact 3rd. The two also share the same Chinese and Japanese voice actresses.
- In the original Chinese text, she introduces herself as the 天理的维系者 "Maintainer of Heavenly Principles (Natural Order)." The term 天理 "heavenly principles, natural order" is the same term translated as "the divine" in the Teyvat Storyline Preview, used while talking about the God of Justice and the Tsaritsa.
- She appears to be spiteful towards mortals, mentioning "the arrogation of mankind." The word "arrogation" means "unjust assumption of privileges," though what exactly she meant by this line is currently left ambiguous.
- In the original Chinese text, she says 在此终结「人之子」的僭越 "The overstepping (usurpation) by the 'Child(ren) of Human(s)' ends here". It is unclear whether she is referring to a single character or speaking about humanity in general, as the term 人之子 on its own does not specify singular or plural.
- The Unknown God shares voice actresses with multiple characters across the various voiceover languages:
- Paimon's hair ornament and the symbol on Albedo's neck are shaped similarly to "The Portal Of The Unknown God".