Abilities and Attacks
Unlike in the regular Oceanid bossfight, Rhodeia can now be attacked directly, although defeating her Hydro Mimics Ferret and Boars will still deal slight damage to her HP.
Rhodeia will use powerful new attacks during this event. Some of her stronger attacks can be avoided by using the Fitful Rapids that periodically appear in the arena. However, Rhodeia herself cannot be Frozen by Cryo DMG.
- Fin Slash: Rhodeia slashes at the player with her fins in either a vertical or horizontal motion. Can be dashed through using I-frames.
- Tail Slam: Rhodeia slams her tail down on the ground, sometimes generating three Hydro explosions in front of her. Can be dashed through using I-frames.
- Dash: Rhodeia lowers herself to the surface and rushes towards the player. Can use this attack three times in a row. Can be dashed through using I-frames.
- Vortex: Rhodeia creates whirlpools on random spots on the arena that act as obstacles, limiting the player's movements and dealing Hydro DMG over time.
- Hydro Missiles: Rhodeia fires 2-4 missiles that home in on the player similar to a Ruin Guard's missiles. Can be avoided by keeping distance from Rhodeia, or can be destroyed by bow users.
- Hydro Bombs: Rhodeia creates 1-2 orbs of water that chase after the player before exploding in a short time, dealing AoE Hydro DMG. Can be avoided by simply keeping away from the bombs, or can be destroyed by a bow user. The AoE is shorter than the Water Bombs in the normal Oceanid fight.
- Hydro Mimics: After taking damage (~75% health left), Rhodeia retreats from the battlefield and summons Hydro Mimics to attack the player. Unlike the normal Oceanid fight, Rhodeia will only summon Boars, Ferrets, and Crabs. The constant rain in the arena will periodically heal the Boars. Defeating the Boars and Ferrets will decrease Rhodeia's HP.
- Boars will charge at the player (can change direction unlike normal) and fire blasts of Hydro.
- Ferrets will lash out at the player with their tails, fire blades of Hydro from their tails, and perform a divebomb attack in which it launches itself upwards and then pounces forward.
- Crabs will strafe around the player, spitting bubbles that deal Hydro DMG over time. Defeating these will not affect Rhodeia's HP and mainly serve as distractions. They have far less HP than normal Oceanid creatures and can be defeated easily.
- Surge of Vengeance: Rhodeia will move to the center of the arena and conjure a large ball of Hydro that she will throw to the ground, dealing massive Hydro DMG throughout the arena. Can be avoided by either using the Fitful Rapids or by diving into the water around the arena.
- River-Carving Rapids: Rhodeia targets the player with a lock-on before firing a massive stream of water from her eye. Can be avoided using the Fitful Rapids or can be withstood using Shields. Using I-frames can grant a few moments of invulnerability. Note that in Co-op, Rhodeia only targets one player, so the others should stay away from the target.
Like the original bossfight, Rhodeia is weak to the same characters as before; even more so thanks to her larger hitbox.
- Electro characters can proc Electro-Charged.
- Ranged characters (bows and catalyst users) can attack Rhodeia from a distance. Bow characters can safely target Rhodeia while standing on the Fitful Rapids.
- Healing characters can help you recover from damage taken.
- Shielding characters will be able to nullify or remove all damage that may be created by Fitful Rapids, Vortex, and Surge of Vengeance.
- Pyro characters can deal increased damage via the Vaporize reaction.
- Cryo characters are useful to freeze the oceanid mimics, but they will not be able to freeze Rhodeia herself.
Note that casters are very squishy without Artifacts, so upgrade them. This is practically required at higher world levels, so either play cautious or kill quickly.
Furthermore, as the battlefield is technically in very shallow water, Electro attacks can electrify the water itself, causing you to take large amounts of damage if not helpful, so a healer may be necessary. Otherwise, this can be avoided by moving away from the electrified area.
Kaeya and Chongyun are very good at freezing all types of water creatures the Oceanid summons, excluding the Hydro Mimic Raptor. Likewise, all other Cryo characters are useful here in the same way; Diona can freeze the birds and create a shield with Icy Paws. Qiqi is even more helpful here, as she is able to mark targets and heal your team; and keep note that whenever a target is marked, you have the effective health of four characters; allowing your team to heal regardless of who hits. Ganyu is useful for her AoE burst and Charged Attack. However, she will not be able to taunt enemies with Trail of the Qilin.
Hydro characters are not recommended.
- Avoiding attacks
Sidestep to dodge Hydro Mimic Boar's Charged Attack. This is the same with the Hydro Mimic Ferrets.
As usual, the AoE radius of any shown damage indicator area in the ground cannot be trusted. You need to dodge farther away than shown.
Beware random water bombs and Rhodeia's Vortex as they affect a huge AoE:
- Invincible frames from dashing or certain Elemental Bursts can help avoid the damage.
- Vertical movement followed by a glide will get you over the blast wave. This can be achieved via abilities like Venti's Skyward Sonnet (see Plunging Attack for more examples).
- A well-timed plunge attack into the water at the edges of the platform can allow characters to avoid the damage.
- Rhodeia can be headshotted for Critical Hits.
- Rhodeia does not count as a boss for the purposes of the Battle Pass.
- Rhodeia needs to be beaten in your world to progress on the quest Life Flows On (II).
|Rhodeia of Loch|
Oceanid of Qingce
|Battle Start||An assassin from our homeland? Or a fool who trespasses upon the waters of Qingce?|
|Attacking||Guh! (Tail Slam)|
|Gyah! (Tail Slam)|
|Hyah! (Fin Slash)|
|Dash||The rising flood!|
|Hydro Bomb||Contamination must be washed away!|
|Hydro Missiles||There is no escape!|
|Summoning Hydro Mimics||In the image of the wilderness.|
|Vortex||Let the torrent surge forth!|
|River-Carving Rapids||River-carving rapids!|
|Surge of Vengeance||Surge of vengeance!|