Plunging Attacks are performed by pressing the Normal Attack button while airborne. A standard jump on a generally flat surface does not usually give enough altitude to perform a plunging attack, so additional height is needed to achieve this.
Certain characters' Elemental Skills or Elemental Bursts can give players the height needed to perform plunging attacks. Note that heights are approximate and are measured in meters. Jump heights are measured from the ground to the character's feet when at max height.
|Xiao||Bane of All Evil||~5-6m|
|Kazuha||Chihayaburu||~5m (hold) / 4m (double-jump) / 3m (single-jump tap)|
|Albedo||platform from Solar Isotoma||4-5m|
|Geo Traveler||Geo Construct from Starfell Sword||2-3m|
|Venti||air current from Skyward Sonnet||5-6m|
|Zhongli||Geo Construct from Dominus Lapidis||4-5m|
|Geo/Cryo Samachurl pillar||2-3m (similar height to Geo Traveler's rock)|
|normal character jump||~1m|
|Shikifuda: Seal of Cataclysmic Wind||gives around same jump height as Xiao's Bane of Evil; does not stack with Xiao's jump boost (i.e. will not make Xiao jump even higher during burst)|
Characters do not need stamina to perform a plunge attack while in the air, so this can potentially save the character from Fall Damage because plunge attacks limit the amount of health that can be lost (compared to falling without plunging). For example, suppose the character runs out of stamina while gliding. In that case, the character can perform a plunge attack before hitting the ground to avoid or reduce fall damage, depending on the altitude. Note that Xiao's Plunging Attack will always nullify fall damage regardless the height.
Still, characters cannot perform plunge attacks if they transition to a free fall by running out of stamina while climbing or being interrupted while in the air (such as being hit by attacks).
Types of Plunges
There are different types for plunge attack; normal (labeled as Plunge DMG), Low, and High Plunge. Each gives different multipliers.
- The regular plunge's attack power is comparable to the standard consecutive strikes in Normal Attack. It is achieved when the character plunges right on top of the enemy, which also causes a second instance of damage as either Low or High Plunge damage.
- Low Plunge is two times more potent than the normal one. Any plunge attack done little above the ground is considered a Low Plunge, these can be achieved through natural reliefs, ramps and similar.
- High Plunge is around 20% stronger than the Low. They can be achieved by plunging from greater heights. Xiao's Elemental Burst and Kazuha's Elemental Skill are examples of abilities that allow the player to reach heights suitable for High Plunges.
Plunging can also cause a certain amount of Poise damage, capable of stunning and staggering enemies.
These are talents that grant additional special abilities to plunges (besides Elemental Infusions, which also infuse plunge attacks). Note that Xiao not taking fall damage from Plunging is part of his Normal Attack Whirlwind Thrust. 3 Talents match the category selection:
|Xiao||Bane of All Evil||Xiao dons the Yaksha Mask that set gods and demons trembling millennia ago.
In this state, Xiao will continuously lose HP.
|Kaedehara Kazuha||Chihayaburu||Unleashes a secret technique as fierce as the rushing wind that pulls objects and opponents towards Kazuha's current position before launching opponents within the AoE, dealing Anemo DMG and lifting Kazuha into the air on a rushing gust of wind.
Within 10s of remaining airborne after casting Chihayaburu, Kazuha can unleash a powerful Plunging Attack known as Midare Ranzan.
Can be used in mid-air.
Charges up before unleashing greater Anemo DMG over a larger AoE than Press Mode.
Plunging Attack: Midare Ranzan
When a Plunging Attack is performed using the effects of the Elemental Skill Chihayaburu, Plunging Attack DMG is converted to Anemo DMG. On landing, Kazuha creates a small wind tunnel via a secret blade technique that pulls in nearby objects and opponents.
Midare Ranzan's DMG is considered Plunging Attack DMG.
|Kaedehara Kazuha||Soumon Swordsmanship||If Chihayaburu comes into contact with Hydro/Pyro/Cryo/Electro when cast, Chihayaburu will absorb that element and if Plunging Attack: Midare Ranzan is used before the effect expires, it will deal an additional 200% ATK of the absorbed elemental type as DMG. This will be considered Plunging Attack DMG.
Elemental Absorption may only occur once per use of Chihayaburu.
|1st Ascension Passive|
These are constellations that grant additional special abilities to plunges. 3 Constellations match the category selection:
|Albedo||Descent of Divinity||Active party members within the Solar Isotoma field have their Plunging Attack DMG increased by 30%.||4|
|Thoma||Burning Heart||When a Blazing Barrier is obtained or refreshed, the DMG dealt by all party members' Normal, Charged, and Plunging Attacks is increased by 15% for 6s.||6|
|Xiao||Conqueror of Evil: Guardian Yaksha||While under the effects of Bane of All Evil, hitting at least 2 opponents with Xiao's Plunging Attack will immediately grant him 1 charge of Lemniscatic Wind Cycling, and for the next 1s, he may use Lemniscatic Wind Cycling while ignoring its CD.||6|
These weapons can modify Plunging Attack damage specifically. For weapons that boost all DMG in general, see Damage Bonus.
1 weapons match the category selection:
|Icon||Name||Rarity||Base ATK (Lv.90)||2nd Stat (Lv.90)||Passive Ability|
|Elemental Mastery 43
A part of the "Millennial Movement" that wanders amidst the winds. Increases DMG by 10~20%. When the character wielding this weapon triggers Elemental Reactions, they gain a Sigil of Rebellion. This effect can be triggered once every 0.5s and can be triggered even if said character is not on the field.
When you possess 2 Sigils of Rebellion, all of them will be consumed and all nearby party members will obtain "Millennial Movement: Song of Resistance" for 12s. "Millennial Movement: Song of Resistance" increases Normal, Charged, and Plunging Attack DMG by 16~32% and increases ATK by 20~40%. Once this effect is triggered, you will not gain Sigils of Rebellion for 20s.
Of the many effects of the "Millennial Movement," buffs of the same type will not stack.
1 Artifact Sets match the category selection:
|Shimenawa's Reminiscence||4-5★||2 Piece: ATK +18%|
4 Piece: When casting an Elemental Skill, if the character has 15 or more Energy, they lose 15 Energy and Normal/Charged/Plunging Attack DMG is increased by 50% for 10s. This effect will not trigger again during that duration.
Some events and domains granted special bonuses to plunging or were centered around plunging.
- Peculiar Wonderland
- Contending Tides
- Energy Amplifier Initiation
- Battlefront: Misty Dungeon, plunging trial
- Some versions of the Spiral Abyss
The following table documents the AoE, poise damage, and impulse of plunging attacks. In general, the AoE and force of the Plunging Attack depends on the plunging height and weapon type. Mid-Air refers to the Plunge damage done to targets mid-air (before hitting the ground).
|Character||Ability||Poise Damage||Impulse Level||Radius (meters)|
|Most Sword Characters||Plunging Attacks (Mid-Air)||25||2||1|
|Plunging Attacks (Low Impact)||100||4||3|
|Plunging Attacks (High Impact)||150||7||5|
|Most Claymore Characters||Plunging Attacks (Mid-Air)||35||2||1|
|Plunging Attacks (Low Impact)||150||4||3|
|Plunging Attacks (High Impact)||200||7||5|
|Most Polearm Characters||Plunging Attacks (Mid-Air)||25||2||1|
|Plunging Attacks (Low Impact)||100||4||3|
|Plunging Attacks (High Impact)||150||7||5|
|Xiao (with burst)||Plunging Attacks (Mid-Air)||37.5||2||1|
|Plunging Attacks (Low Impact)||150||4||4|
|Plunging Attacks (High Impact)||225||7||6|
|Most Catalyst Characters||Plunging Attacks (Mid-Air)||5||2||1.5|
|Plunging Attacks (Low Impact)||50||3||3|
|Plunging Attacks (High Impact)||100||4||3.5|
|Most Bow Characters||Plunging Attacks (Mid-Air)||10||2||1|
|Plunging Attacks (Low Impact)||50||2||3|
|Plunging Attacks (High Impact)||100||3||3.5|
- The Plunging Attack has sometimes been referred to as the Cannonball as in the Contending Tides challenge (Art of the Cannonball).
- The community term Dragonstrike (Chinese: 登龙剑 "Climbing-Dragon Sword") refers to the ability of melee characters, especially tall claymore characters, to gain additional height by using the extra momentum gained by hit lag when hitting an entity to jump high enough to perform a plunging attack. The term has specifically been used to refer to Diluc performing plunge attacks and has less commonly been called the Xiaoluc (a portmanteau of Xiao and Diluc).
- Footstooling is a different method from dragonstriking, and involves the character jumping on an entity whose hitbox, upon collision, will allow the player to jump high enough to perform a plunge attack. This method, unlike Dragonstrike, is not limited to melee characters.
- Xiao can perform a plunging attack no matter his height above the ground after using his Elemental Skill, Lemniscatic Wind Cycling. Kazuha can also ignore plunging attack height requirements for 10s after using Chihayaburu.
- While in his Foul Legacy: Raging Tide stance, Tartaglia will not be able to plunge attack.
- One can use Keqing's Stellar Restoration to teleport to a high location and then plunge attack.
- Bow users fire a rain of arrows as part of their plunging attack.
- There is a glitch where characters can "infinite-plunge" attack on certain objects. That is, plunging on some things will cause one to enter a state of perpetual plunging, never passing through the object to reach the ground, with the spiraling plunging animation in limbo. This happens with polearm users and other characters as well.
- Hitting an opponent with a Plunging Attack after plunging for more than 5 seconds grants the player the "Geronimo!" achievement.