Mondstadt (German: Mondstadt "Moon City") is one of the seven nations in Teyvat, and the first in which the Traveler starts to look for their lost sibling. It is the city-state that worships Barbatos, the Anemo Archon.
Ever since the beginning, Mondstadt has celebrated a festival called the Ludi Harpastum every year, with 15 days of games for the children to enjoy.
Archon Quest Prologue takes place in this nation.
The dragon who defended Mondstadt for a millennium finally faces his perturbation. What does freedom really mean, when demanded of you by a god?
A city of freedom that lies in the northeast of Teyvat. From amongst mountains and wide-open plains, carefree breezes carry the scent of dandelions — a gift from the Anemo God, Barbatos — across Cider Lake to Mondstadt, which sits on an island in the middle of the lake.Genshin Impact Official Website
|Mondstadt||The namesake of the nation.
It features cobblestone streets and has several windmills both large and small dotting the city. The lower area houses the market district, while the upper area is for the Cathedral and the Library.
|Cider Lake||A natural freshwater lake.
The lake's wide, crystalline appearance has remained unchanged for eons — so clear you can see the bottom, and cool and refreshing to drink. It is none other than these headwaters that brought Mondstadt's ciders and wines to fame and made the lake the symbol of Mondstadt that it is today.
|Falcon Coast||Stretching eastward from Windrise to the sea, Falcon Coast — together with Cape Oath — shelters the sea from three sides, creating a bay that sits east of Mondstadt.
Given the long coastline and shallow waters, citizens of Mondstadt often come here to enjoy a nice stroll. On occasion, you can see falcons soaring high above the blue waves that brush upon the white sand.
|Cape Oath||In the southeast corner of Mondstadt's surrounds lies a cape that borders with Galesong Hill.
Legend has it two lovers made an oath to each other here, and left behind a deeply touching story. To this day the area is still known to be popular amongst young lovebirds.
|Dawn Winery||Nestled in the land southwest of Mondstadt sits the winery that has passed down the legacy of Mondstadt's traditional wines and ciders for generations.
The grapes grown here are used to produce a range of wines that are popular right across Teyvat.
|Springvale||A sleepy little village to the south of Mondstadt, that sits facing the lake that surrounds the city.
Most of the village's residents are hunters that provide fresh meat for all the big restaurants of Mondstadt.
|Thousand Winds Temple||A collection of temple ruins that sits northeast of Mondstadt.
According to local legend, millennia ago this area was a temple for worshipping the Anemo God. Though it has been left to waste for centuries, leaving the ruins you see today. If you look closely at some of the stone pillars, you can still faintly make out some elegant carvings.
|Musk Reef||It's a small island to the east of Cape Oath, only accessible by solving a puzzle there. At Musk Reef, you will find the Spiral Abyss that requires Adventure Rank 20 to enter.|
|Dragonspine||A tall snow-covered mountain to the south of Mondstadt.|
18 Characters match the category selection:
2 Characters match the category selection:
- Mondstadt considers its trademarks the Dandelion, Flight and Wine, being the very few things that Mondstadt learned from the Wind Archon to build Mondstadt.
- Roses in Mondstadt, instead of love, represent the saying "As wine bottles are corked, so too are my lips sealed." It encourages people to keep one another's secrets.
- Citizens and people in Liyue often mock Mondstadt for being a city without rule with their god abandoned, showcasing the contrast between how others view freedom vs constitution. They are also unaware of the reasons as to why the Anemo Archon decided not to rule over Mondstadt, which may hint that every other nation shares the same outlook.
- In the trailer Teyvat Chapter Storyline Preview: Travail, under the title of the quest The Outlander Who Caught the Wind, there is a line written in Teyvat's Latin script. It reads "Mea libertas meus canor" which translates to "My freedom is my song."
- Many characters wear gloves that have a different colour on the palm compared to the back. This could be because the palm-side is made from a different material which provides better grip. It appears to be a fashion unique to Mondstadt.
- Mondstadt is inspired by Germany.
- Mondstadt is German for "Moon City", and the architecture of Mondstadt is inspired by half-timbered houses, medieval buildings that are typical for Germany.
- The official English translation of the manga sometimes abbreviates the name as "Mond", which is how it is translated in Chinese, as well as Japanese and Korean.
- Many of Mondstadt's characters have German names or titles: Klee means "clover" in German. Fischl, the Prinzessin der Verurteilung means "Princess of Condemnation". Albedo, the Kreideprinz means "Prince of Chalk". Diona of Kätzlein bloodline means "Kitten" bloodline.
- Mondstadt's annual spring festival is called Windblume, which is German for "Wind Flower".
- The font of Mondstadt's written language is a broken up and mirrored version of Fraktur, a font most typical in German-speaking countries from the Middle Ages until the early 21st century. You can still see it on many signs or old houses in Germany. The language itself is English however, likely for easier international understanding.
- The most important statue of Barbatos stands at Windrise under a massive oak tree. The oak is the national tree of Germany, thus oak leaves are a prominent symbol on most German military orders and currency.
- The de-facto ruling body of Mondstadt are the Knights of Favonius which mirrors the State of the Teutonic Order, in which the Grand Master of the Order is the head of state.
- Mondstadt is also called the Free City or City of Freedom, this title was given to sovereignly ruled city states of the Holy Roman Empire, the medieval predecessor of what today is Germany. Today the official name of German cities especially those of the Hanseatic League like Hamburg or Bremen still carry the Free City prefix.
- In Chinese and Japanese, Goth Hotel, a building owned by the wealthy Goth family, is called Goethe Hotel. In Frankfurt, there is a museum called Goethe house, which was the former estate of the Goethe family, of which the poet Johann Wolfgang von Goethe is the most prominent member. Note that Frankfurt was a Free City between 1372 and 1806 and between 1815 and 1866.
- The Black-Back Hound dog race, that the game archive says originates in Mondstadt, is of the distinctive tan and black fur color and pattern of the German Shepherd.