The Mare Jivari is a domain in the southwestern end of Teyvat, near a desert. It is described as a "sea of ashes where the wind does not blow," and contains a sea of scorching lava. Within the Mare Jivari dwells a phoenix that was worshipped by humans.
At an unknown point in time, a sage known as the Lavawalker traversed the Mare Jivari. He created a circlet that could withstand the sea of fire within the Mare Jivari. Envious and fearful, his teacher and peers decried this as blasphemy, and ordered him to walk into the Mare Jivari while wearing it. He did so — and survived. He continued wandering in and out of the Mare Jivari for another one hundred years, until the sea of flames finally burned him to ash during his final journey.
Several years before the game's start, a famous Mondstadt adventurer named Stanley traversed the Mare Jivari. However, he perished while saving a greenhorn adventurer from an evil beast; afterwards, the adventurer he saved took on the name "Stanley" and recounts the real Stanley's tales as though they were his own to keep the man's memory alive.
- While the word "Mare" is Latin, meaning "sea", the etymology of "Jivari" is not clear.
- Some speculate the word was derived from the musical term Jivari, which means the overtone-rich "buzzing" sound characteristic of classical Indian string instruments.
- Others speculate that it was inspired by the Rio Javari, a tributary of the Amazon River that flows along the boundary of Brazil and Peru.
- The Chinese, Japanese, and Korean names for Mare Jivari translate to "Silent Sea of Ashes." This name is kept in other localizations through the Loading Screen's description of Mare Jivari.
- In CBT1, the English localization translated Mare Jivari as the "Ashen Sea."
- Bennett makes a reference to Mare Jivari as "the edge of the world" in his love poem.
- Cyrus's question and answer about the Mare Jivari in Noelle's Hangout Event Act II, Knightly Exam Prep - Adventurer's Entrance Exam. In English, Cyrus calls the Mare Jivari a domain twice. In Chinese, Cyrus says 秘境, which is translated as domain in English when referring to in-game domains.
- Stanley's dialogue in "The South Wind Brings Adventure"
- Loading Screen text
- Lavawalker artifact descriptions
- Wanderer's Troupe, Goblet of Eonothem description
- Genshin Impact - CBT Special Episode 2 by Crosus