Kairagi (Japanese: 海乱鬼 Kairagi), are a type of Nobushi. There are currently two types of Kairagi: Dancing Thunder and Fiery Might.
Ochimusha are ghostly versions of Kairagi and are special one-time enemies. Like the Kairagi, Ochimusha have two types: Ensorcelled Thunder and Cankered Flame.
Most Kairagi are former yoriki of the Shogun's Army who left for various reasons and typically rob others to make a living. It appears that they can imbue their swords with the Elements through a forgotten technique with a paper seal from a Kamuna art.
On their own, Kairagi are typically not a problem. However, they are similar to Elite Enemies in strength despite being classified as Normal Enemies. When the Kairagi spots the player, they will unsheathe their sword; they gain a temporary damage reduction until they finish or are staggered, which cancels this animation. Kairagi are not particularly strong if they have not imbued their swords, although they still do significant damage. Once they have imbued their swords, they become far more dangerous as this significantly increases their attack power. This can also apply various elemental reactions depending on what enemies are nearby that further increase this damage.
When encountered in pairs, dealing with Kairagi becomes much more troublesome as they both need to be defeated in a short time frame. If the player defeats one of them too fast, the other will enter an Avenger state, increasing their health, prioritize infusing their blades and use more deadly combos. They also become immune to Frozen and Petrification attacks. The time frame does vary as the Kairagi will not attempt to enter this state if in the middle of an attack, and they can still be Frozen or Petrified before they attempt to do so, although none of these are reliable.
- "Masanori" — A Kairagi renown for defeating many worthy opponents until he met the Traveler. He can be fought any time after completing Dreams of Sword Art.
- Washizu — A Kairagi found praying in a shrine. He was the former chief of the Higi Village.
- Nameless Bandit — A Kairagi found in The Farmer's Treasure as the leader of the bandits at Jinren Island. Apparently, he forgot to name himself, thus earning the name "Forgot to Name Himself".
- Masterless Samurai — A Kairagi found during Relics of Seirai.
- Mysterious Samurai — An Ochimusha: Cankered Flame encountered during the quest, "The Bunkoku Enigma". This Ochimusha was summoned by Bunkoku to possess Koyanagi and kill his friend. Its title in-game is "Vengeful Guardian Spirit".
- Iwakura Art Disciples
- The Kairagi, along with the Fatui Skirmishers Vanguards and Legionnaires so far are the largest human enemies in-game.
- "Kairagi" was another name for the wokou (Japanese: 倭寇 Wakou; Korean: 왜구(倭寇) Waegu; Chinese: 倭寇 Wōkòu), who were Japanese pirates that consistently raided and skirmished the shores of Korea and China during the 13th and 16th centuries.
- During a survey poll in 2.1, the Kairagi were listed as Elite Enemies, even though they fall under the Normal Enemies category in-game due to the Mora and experience gained from defeating them.
|Language||Official Name||Literal Meaning|
|Spanish||Samurái Kairagi||Kairagi Samurai|
|French||Oni des mers||Sea Oni|
- World Quest, The Gourmet Supremos: The Gourmet Supremos: On the Road