Golden Apple Archipelago (historically known as the Haar Islands before the events of Midsummer Island Adventure) is a limited time region appearing in Version 1.6. It is a set of islands that the Dodo-King invited Klee to in the quest Mysterious Islands: Journey to the Unknown.
The archipelago is the first location released where the player can be introduced to the Waverider system. Initially only a handful of small islands, the archipelago turns out to be a cluster of multiple mountainous islands after completing Summer Vacation: Proceed With Caution.
Although this region's map is no longer available in-game, it is still available on the Teyvat Interactive Map.
These islands are isolated from the outside world, like a secret Domain crafted by nature itself.
According to Venti, the archipelago used to be called the Haar Islands. At least one island was created during the terraforming of Mondstadt; as Barbatos reshaped the region, he split off a chunk of a mountain which landed upside-down in the sea to become the archipelago. Lisa also mentions it "belonging to no nation", likely meaning it is located in neutral waters.
The area appears to be operated by an unusually large mechanism that has not yet been revealed. Initially, the islands were covered in dense fog which made travel to the islands extremely dangerous and inaccessible to most. This, along with the changing tides and winds, also made it difficult to escape once anyone actually made it to the islands. While hilichurls can be found on the archipelago both before and after the rising of the islands, it is unknown if the hilichurls had been there first, or somehow sailed to it.
Civilization began on the Haar Islands with one shipwrecked group that went on to live on the archipelago for many generations. Many people tried escaping; it remains unknown if any of them were successful. Much later, an Inazuma pirate crew got shipwrecked on the archipelago, losing all of their treasure except for a samurai puppet that protected the islanders until it was damaged and rendered inactive. With the help of the pirates, an escape route was devised that took advantage of the archipelago's unusual features. As it seemed likely that the escape route would work, everyone left the islands, but their ultimate fate is unknown.
Some years after the archipelago became abandoned, in present day, the events of Midsummer Island Adventure occurred. Klee received a letter from "Dodo-King" threatening to take Dodoco away from her unless she could prove herself. With the assistance of the Traveler and Paimon, Klee was able to find the location of the archipelago as well as the means to get there, with Acting Grand Master Jean and Deaconess Barbara also deciding to come with her for her safety. The five were taken to the archipelago by Dvalin, summoned by Venti. There they would begin looking for "Dodo-King" and learn about the archipelago's mysterious history in the process.
The group is eventually joined by Kaeya, Diluc, Albedo, and Razor, who were also flown to the archipelago by Dvalin but became separated when Razor jumped off mid-flight. Each also received a letter from Dodo-King with varying, personal messages catered to their concerns, causing everyone to become wary of the true identity of Dodo-King.
After solving the mystery, it is revealed that Alice, Klee's mother, had brought the group to the archipelago so she could ensure that her daughter had a memorable summer vacation. She had visited the area before and found the scenery and history beautiful, and spent some time dressing up the islands for her daughter's enjoyment.
In Part I, each Isle has 1 Teleport Waypoint and 1 Waverider Waypoint. The player starts on Pudding Isle. One can follow the Glimmering Beacons to unlock the Teleport Waypoints in a "counterclockwise" fashion, heading north to Twinning Isle, then west to Broken Isle, then south to Minacious Isle, though it's easier to click "Navigate" on the locked teleport waypoints and go directly towards them from there, in whichever order you wish.
Initially, the entire archipelago is filled with dense fog, but after unlocking the four Teleport Waypoints, the fog lifts, it turns bright during the day, and the sun glows gold like an apple in the sky, revealing the tropical backdrop of the archipelago. The background music will also change into a relaxing tropical theme.
In Part II, some more islands (like the Central Platform) appeared along with new Waypoints. Sea Ganoderma appeared as well. Fog and fog-like conditions appear in certain parts of the archipelago, mostly tied to world quests.
- Waverider Waypoint
- Glimmering Beacon
- Echoing Conch
- Buoys (after destroying 3 buoys, the map transitions into Part II)
- Mist Bubbles: Some bubbles will appear in the middle of the sea. On the Waverider, head over to the bubble, and then another bubble will appear in the vicinity. Keep following the bubbles and eventually one will reach a Floating Crate which will give Mora.
- Wind-Blessed Harpastum: Used to break Dodo-King's Painted Walls and activate Hymnal Rings
- Door of Resurrection: Found on Pudding Isle, this is the player's respawn location after attempting to sail out of bounds.
The following characters can be interacted with as NPCs during Parts III and IV of Midsummer Island Adventure:
- Anemo Samachurl
- Anemo Slime
- Blazing Axe Mitachurl
- Cryo Abyss Mage
- Cryo Hilichurl Shooter
- Cryo Samachurl
- Cryo Whopperflower
- Electro Hilichurl Shooter
- Eye of the Storm
- Hilichurl Berserker
- Hilichurl Fighter
- Hilichurl Shooter
- Hydro Abyss Mage
- Hydro Mimic Boar
- Hydro Mimic Crab
- Hydro Mimic Crane
- Hydro Mimic Finch
- Hydro Mimic Frog
- Hydro Samachurl
- Hydro Slime
- Large Anemo Slime
- Large Hydro Slime
- Maguu Kenki
- Pyro Hilichurl Shooter
- Pyro Whopperflower
- Rock Shieldwall Mitachurl
- Stonehide Lawachurl
- Wooden Shield Hilichurl Guard
- Wooden Shieldwall Mitachurl
- A Trip Through Fog and Wind
- The Other Side of Isle and Sea
- From Outer Lands
- Who Wields the Wild Wind?
- They Who Hear the Sea
- The Winding Homeward Way
- Summer Gift (if player didn't participate in Midsummer Island Adventure)
- "Haar" (cognate with the English "hoar"), which was used in the archipelago's older name, refers to a type of cold, thick sea fog that is brought rolling in by the winds.
- After completing Dodo-King of the Sea: Lying in Wait, the NPCs seen during the quest remained in different islands of the map until the end of Midsummer Island Adventure.
- The archipelago is one of the only areas in game which contains Local Specialties of multiple nations:
- Celestia cannot be seen in the sky from the Golden Apple Archipelago, unlike in the Teyvat map.