Fall Damage (not to be confused with Plunge Attacks) is an Exploration mechanic where characters and enemies take HP damage from falling from a great height. Both characters and enemies seem to take Fall Damage as percentage of max HP based on speed upon impact, as well as duration spent falling.
There is a theory that fall damage taken could be based on both falling speed and the "helpless" falling state (a specific falling animation pose where characters/enemies are unable to take any actions), both of which can be influenced by Jean's Elemental Skill. More research on this theory is underway.
Fall Damage can be mostly reduced or negated using a Plunge Attack at any point or opening one's Wind Glider periodically to safely reduce fall speed. If given the option, falling into water with level above the character's waist height (resulting in wading) will also negate all Fall Damage. Also, if one plunge attacks with Xiao at any height, they will not take damage.
Going out of bounds in Domains or drowning applies a different type of "fall damage" penalty - the player is returned to the last safe spot, but all team members in the player's control take 10% of their maximum health as damage and all of their Energy is drained. For most enemies, if they are knocked into waist-high water, they will simply drown, instantly killing them regardless of how much health they had. Items, if any dropped, are usually placed in an area where the player can safely retrieve them, but there are rare cases in which they will also sink into the water, becoming very hard or outright impossible to obtain.
Static Fall Damage Chart
|Height (Stories)||Fall Damage||Plunge Attack's Fall Damage||Waist High Water Fall Damage||Waist High Water Plunge Attack's Fall Damage|
|Jade Chamber||Death||40%||No damage||No damage|
|Above Cloud Level (Dwelling in the Clouds)||Death||40%||No damage||No damage|
|Mountain Peaks||Death||20%||No damage||No damage|
|7||Death||10%||No damage||No damage|
|6||Death||10%||No damage||No damage|
|5||Death||No damage||No damage||No damage|
|4||Death||No damage||No damage||No damage|
|3||Death||No damage||No damage||No damage|
|2.5||66.6%||No damage||No damage||No damage|
|2||33.3%||No damage||No damage||No damage|
|1.5||No damage||No damage||No damage||No damage|
- This chart assumes free fall such as walking off cliff edges and building rooftops directly and does not consider other factors in the velocity modifier, such as Air Boost Rings.
- One story is building height (±0.5 of a building height due to slight building variations).
- Plunge Attack's Fall Damage starts from when you initiate Plunge Attack, essentially resetting fall damage.
- Plunge Attack's Fall Damage is determined by the height.
|Height Range||Plunge Attack's Fall Damage|
|0 ~ 40 m||0%|
|40 ~ 60 m||10%|
|60 ~ 100 m||20%|
|Above 100 m||40%|
- Xiao will not lose HP from a Plunging Attack, no matter how high he starts.
- Shields, such as Noelle's Breastplate, do not affect nor reduce the damage taken.
- Breaking your fall into multiple chunks or dragging against a steep cliff face can greatly reduce the damage taken.
- One can use Jean's Elemental Skill to launch enemies in the air and do Fall Damage against them repeatedly. This strategy can be used in various floors of the Spiral Abyss.