Elemental Infusions refer to when Normal Attacks are converted to elemental damage (usually for Claymore, Polearm, and Sword users). They are usually activated upon Elemental Skill or Elemental Burst. Some may require leveling up characters or constellations to activate as passives.
Bennett's and Chongyun's infusions will apply to the whole team. Other infusions will only apply to a single character. All catalyst and charged bow attacks are infused with the bearer's element, though some bow users like Tartaglia, Yoimiya, and Aloy can convert their attacks to elemental damage in different ways as well.
The field infusions can cause Elemental Reactions with infused weapons and override other infusions. When both Chongyun and Bennett's field infusions are used, it is possible for the weapon infusion to oscillate. This can be explained via Gauge Unit Theory.
Elemental Conversions work similarly to Elemental Infusions, which convert Normal Attacks to elemental damage. However, unlike Elemental Infusions, Elemental Conversions can NOT be overridden and have more detailed visual and sound effects.
4 Talents match the category selection:
|Diluc||Dawn||Releases intense flames to knock back nearby opponents, dealing Pyro DMG.
The flames then converge into the weapon, summoning a Phoenix that flies forward and deals massive Pyro DMG to all opponents in its path. The Phoenix explodes upon reaching its destination, causing a large amount of AoE Pyro DMG.
The searing flames that run down his blade cause it to be infused with Pyro.
|Kamisato Ayaka||Kamisato Art: Senho||Alternate Sprint
Ayaka consumes Stamina and cloaks herself in a frozen fog that moves with her.
In Senho form, she moves swiftly upon water.
When she reappears, the following effects occur:
|Chongyun||Spirit Blade: Chonghua's Layered Frost||Chongyun strikes the ground with his greatsword, causing a Cryo explosion in a circular AoE in front of him that deals Cryo DMG.
After a short delay, the cold air created by the Cryo explosion will coalesce into a Chonghua Frost Field, within which all Sword, Claymore and Polearm-wielding characters' weapons will be infused with Cryo.
|Keqing||Thundering Penance||After recasting Stellar Restoration while a Lightning Stiletto is present, Keqing's weapon gains an Electro Infusion for 5s.||1st Ascension Passive|
2 Constellations match the category selection:
|Bennett||Fire Ventures with Me||Sword, Claymore, or Polearm-wielding characters inside Fantastic Voyage's radius gain a 15% Pyro DMG Bonus and their weapons are infused with Pyro.||6|
|Kaedehara Kazuha||Crimson Momiji||After using Chihayaburu or Kazuha Slash, Kaedehara Kazuha gains an Anemo Infusion for 5s. Additionally, each point of Elemental Mastery will increase the DMG dealt by Kaedehara Kazuha's Normal, Charged, and Plunging Attack by 0.2%.||6|
These talents cannot be overridden by other infusions. 10 Talents match the category selection:
|Xiao||Bane of All Evil||Xiao dons the Yaksha Mask that set gods and demons trembling millennia ago.
In this state, Xiao will continuously lose HP.
|Kaedehara Kazuha||Chihayaburu||Unleashes a secret technique as fierce as the rushing wind that pulls objects and opponents towards Kazuha's current position before launching opponents within the AoE, dealing Anemo DMG and lifting Kazuha into the air on a rushing gust of wind.
Within 10s of remaining airborne after casting Chihayaburu, Kazuha can unleash a powerful Plunging Attack known as Midare Ranzan.
Can be used in mid-air.
Charges up before unleashing greater Anemo DMG over a larger AoE than Press Mode.
Plunging Attack: Midare Ranzan
When a Plunging Attack is performed using the effects of the Elemental Skill Chihayaburu, Plunging Attack DMG is converted to Anemo DMG. On landing, Kazuha creates a small wind tunnel via a secret blade technique that pulls in nearby objects and opponents.
Midare Ranzan's DMG is considered Plunging Attack DMG.
|Tartaglia||Foul Legacy: Raging Tide||Unleashes a set of weaponry made of pure water, dealing Hydro DMG to surrounding opponents and entering Melee Stance.
In this Stance, Tartaglia's Normal and Charged Attacks are converted to Hydro DMG that cannot be overridden by any other elemental infusion and change as follows:
Perform up to 6 consecutive Hydro strikes.
Consumes a certain amount of Stamina to unleash a cross slash, dealing Hydro DMG.
Hitting an opponent affected by Riptide with a melee attack unleashes a Riptide Slash that deals AoE Hydro DMG. DMG dealt in this way is considered Elemental Skill DMG, and can only occur once every 1.5s.
After 30s, or when the ability is unleashed again, this skill will end. Tartaglia will return to his Ranged Stance and this ability will enter CD.
The longer Tartaglia stays in his Melee Stance, the longer the CD.
If the return to a ranged stance occurs automatically after 30s, the CD is even longer.
|Aloy||Frozen Wilds||Aloy throws a Freeze Bomb in the targeted direction that explodes on impact, dealing Cryo DMG. After it explodes, the Freeze Bomb will split up into many Chillwater Bomblets that explode on contact with opponents or after a short delay, dealing Cryo DMG.
When a Freeze Bomb or Chillwater Bomblet hits an opponent, the opponent's ATK is decreased and Aloy receives 1 Coil stack.
Aloy can gain up to 1 Coil stack every 0.1s.
While in the Rushing Ice state, Aloy cannot obtain new Coil stacks.
|Hu Tao||Guide to Afterlife||Only an unwavering flame can cleanse the impurities of this world.
Hu Tao consumes a set portion of her HP to knock the surrounding enemies back and enter the Paramita Papilio state.
|Kamisato Ayato||Kamisato Art: Kyouka||Kamisato Ayato shifts positions and enters the Takimeguri Kanka state. After this shift, he will leave a watery illusion at his original location. After it is formed, the watery illusion will explode if opponents are nearby or after its duration ends, dealing AoE Hydro DMG.
In this state, Kamisato Ayato uses his Shunsuiken to engage in blindingly fast attacks, causing DMG from his Normal Attacks to be converted into AoE Hydro DMG. This cannot be overridden.
It also has the following properties:
Takimeguri Kanka will be cleared when Ayato leaves the field. Using Kamisato Art: Kyouka again while in the Takimeguri Kanka state will reset and replace the pre-existing state.
|Yoimiya||Niwabi Fire-Dance||Yoimiya waves a sparkler and causes a ring of saltpeter to surround her.
During this time, arrows fired by Yoimiya's Normal Attack will be Blazing Arrows, and their DMG will be increased and converted to Pyro DMG.
During this time, Normal Attack: Firework Flare-Up will not generate Kindling Arrows at Charge Level 2.
This effect will deactivate when Yoimiya leaves the field.
|Arataki Itto||Royal Descent: Behold, Itto the Evil!||Time to show 'em the might of the Arataki Gang! For a time, Itto lets out his inner Raging Oni King, wielding his Oni King's Kanabou in battle.
This state has the following special properties:
The Raging Oni King state will be cleared when Itto leaves the field.
|Raiden Shogun||Secret Art: Musou Shinsetsu||Gathering truths unnumbered and wishes uncounted, the Raiden Shogun unleashes the Musou no Hitotachi and deals AoE Electro DMG, using Musou Isshin in combat for a certain duration afterward. The DMG dealt by Musou no Hitotachi and Musou Isshin's attacks will be increased based on the number of Chakra Desiderata's Resolve stacks consumed when this skill is used.
While in this state, the Raiden Shogun will wield her tachi in battle, while her Normal, Charged, and Plunging Attacks will be infused with Electro DMG, which cannot be overridden. When such attacks hit opponents, she will regenerate Energy for all nearby party members. Energy can be restored this way once every 1s, and this effect can be triggered 5 times throughout this skill's duration.
While in this state, the Raiden Shogun's resistance to interruption is increased, and she is immune to Electro-Charged reaction DMG.
While Musou Isshin is active, the Raiden Shogun's Normal, Charged, and Plunging Attack DMG will be considered Elemental Burst DMG.
The effects of Musou Isshin will be cleared when the Raiden Shogun leaves the field.
When nearby party members (excluding the Raiden Shogun herself) use their Elemental Bursts, the Raiden Shogun will build up Resolve stacks based on the Energy Cost of these Elemental Bursts.
The maximum number of Resolve stacks is 60.
The Resolve gained by Chakra Desiderata will be cleared 300s after the Raiden Shogun leaves the field.
|Noelle||Sweeping Time||Gathering the strength of stone around her weapon, Noelle strikes the opponents surrounding her within a large AoE, dealing Geo DMG.
Afterwards, Noelle gains the following effects:
When multiple infusion skills are used at once, infusions can be overridden by others (unless otherwise stated). The mechanism can be explained via Gauge Unit Theory.
- Diluc's Pyro infusion can override Chongyun's infusion
- Keqing's Electro infusion is overridden by Chongyun's infusion or Bennett's infusion
- Kazuha's Anemo infusion gained from his 6th Constellation can be overridden by the field infusions. The field infusion from Bennett or Chongyun will react with Kazuha's Anemo infusion and consume it, creating a Swirl reaction. After that, Kazuha's Anemo infusion will be overridden by the field infusion.
- The swirl damage scales off the Elemental Mastery of the character who created the field (Chongyun or Bennett), not Kazuha's.
When two overridable infusions of the same element are applied simultaneously upon a weapon, the infusion of the weapon will temporarily change. For example, when using Ayaka's infusion inside both Chongyun's and Bennett's infusion fields, the elemental infusion will temporarily be Cryo before switching back to Pyro. When two of Chongyun's fields overlap with Bennett's field, there will be short periods where Bennett's infusion is not applied, and the elemental infusion of the weapon will oscillate between Cryo and Pyro.
The following table describes which elemental infusion will take precedence when multiple characters' infusion skills are used. Note that C followed by a number denotes Constellation number.
|Bennett (C6 field)||Chongyun field|
|Kaedehara Kazuha (C6)|
Weapon Gauge Units
The table gives the illusion that the observed infusion priorities (for the overridable infusions) are:
However, this may be false. There may be another way of explaining how infusions are overridden via Gauge Unit Theory.
It may be that any infusion can override the other. It is just that some infusions can naturally refresh themselves quickly, whereas others may not (or require manual refreshing). The infusions that can automatically refresh themselves include those of Bennett, Chongyun, and Diluc.
- The external infusion fields provided by Chongyun or Bennett will apply an elemental aura to the character's weapon periodically.
- If the weapon is infused with say Anemo or Electro, the field will consume that element (consume the weapon's elemental gauge) and replace it with the field infusion element. For example:
- Keqing's Electro infusion will be consumed by Bennett or Chongyun's fields, replacing her attacks with Pyro or Cryo. Unless Keqing refreshes her Electro infusion (by using her skill again), her attacks will remain Pyro or Cryo within the field (and Physical outside the field).
- Likewise, Ayaka's Cryo infusion will be consumed by Bennett's field, replacing her attacks with Pyro. Unless Ayaka refreshes her Cryo infusion (by using her Alternate Sprint), her autoattacks will not be Cryo anymore.
- On the other hand, Diluc can refresh his Pyro infusion (every 0.5 seconds), so even if Chongyun's field consumes his weapon's Pyro infusion, Diluc can automatically refresh the Pyro infusion, giving the illusion that Diluc's infusion is not overridden.
- Kazuha's Constellation 6 Anemo Infusion will also be consumed by Bennett and Chongyun's fields, and the Anemo infusion will not be refreshed unless he uses his skill or burst again.
- When both Chongyun and Bennett's fields are used and superimposed, the weapon infusion will oscillate between Cryo and Pyro periodically. For example, in terms of weapon gauges, Bennett's weapon will initially be infused with Pyro, then be consumed by Chongyun's Cryo field, briefly infusing Bennett's weapon with Cryo. But then Bennett's field will re-apply Pyro and consume the infusion, infusing Bennett's weapon with Pyro again. And the cycle continues.
From in-game testing, it has been determined that:
- Bennett and Chongyun's fields apply an elemental aura to weapons every 1 second.
- When the field infusions apply the elemental aura, they can cause Elemental Reactions based on the field caster's Elemental Mastery (as is demonstrated with Bennett and Chongyun's fields Swirling with Kazuha's Constellation 6 Anemo infusion).
- The reactions caused by field and weapon infusions appear to follow the reaction modifier rules described in Gauge Unit Theory.
- The weapon aura functions similarly to character self-auras and can change immediately when the external field applies a different elemental gauge to it.
Bow characters can infuse their arrows with their corresponding elements ("Arrow Infusions"). These infused arrows can create Elemental Reactions when interacting with the environment. For example, it has been observed that:
- Venti's Anemo infused arrows can Swirl in the rain.
- Amber's Pyro infused arrows can Vaporize in the rain (as indicated by rising smoke from the arrows).
- Electro and Hydro infused arrows can also cause reactions, but Cryo infused arrows do not appear to react.
However even with elemental reactions, the arrows will retain the infused aura on them. They are not overridden. This suggests the infused arrows may have a permanent elemental aura on them similar to some Slimes. It may be possible that the Elemental conversions for certain characters (i.e. the non-overridable infusions for Hu Tao, Noelle, Tartaglia, Xiao, etc.) also apply a similar "infinite gauge" or "permanent aura" to the weapon, like the permanent aura on slimes such as Hydro and Electro Slimes.
Some infusions will end when the character is switched out. Others will remain for its intended duration, so one can switch to a different character and switch back to the infused character, and the infusion will remain before its expiration.
|When switching out||Characters|
Some infusions only apply to the individual. Others apply to the whole team.
Infusions by Element
This table sorts characters' infusions by element.
Certain enemies can utilize Elemental Infusion or Elemental Conversion.
When infused, some enemies themselves, or their weapons will be inflicted by the element in question, and are able to react with other elements, or be absorbed by certain Anemo abilites. Infused entities, whether an enemy or a weapon used by an enemy, function similarly to shields, and their elemental status can be removed after sufficient gauges of the correct elements are applied, removing the infusion as a result. Such enemies include:
- Electro Slime
- Hilichurl Berserker
- Large Electro Slime
- Large Pyro Slime
- Mutant Electro Slime
- Pyro Slime
Enemies that utilize Elemental Conversion can convert their existing attacks to a different element. However, they or their weapons will not be inflicted with an element, and are unable to react with other elements, unlike in the case of an infusion. Such enemies include:
- Infused and Converted melee attacks cannot chop trees for wood.
- Infused attacks cannot destroy bushes, but Converted attacks can.
- Usually with Elemental Infusions, Physical Damage will be converted to Elemental Damage, so Physical DMG Bonuses will not apply to the elemental attacks. Instead, the corresponding elemental damage bonus will be applied.
- Tartaglia's Elemental Skill is somewhat different from other infusions as it also involves a stance change, but this still converts his attacks to Hydro DMG.
- Razor's Elemental Burst is not an infusion, but adds Electro DMG on top of Razor's Physical DMG.
- Elemental Infusions provide a way to deal consistent elemental damage, which can be useful for destroying the shields on Abyss Lectors and Abyss Heralds. For example, one can use Chongyun's infusion to deal constant Cryo DMG to the Hydro Abyss Herald's shield.
- Elemental Infusions differ from Elemental Absorption in that:
- Absorption usually refers to an Anemo construct absorbing one of Cryo/Electro/Hydro/Pyro from an external elemental source. Sometimes, it is said that the Anemo construct is infused with the element.
- Infusions usually infuse the user's weapon, and it can be any element, including Anemo (as for Xiao) and Geo (as for Noelle).
- The Viridescent Venerer 4-piece set uses the word "infused" to describe Anemo coming into contact with another element to trigger the Swirl reaction. However, this is different from both Elemental Infusion and Elemental Absorption.
- Elemental Infusion causes a character's Normal Attacks to deal elemental damage.
- Elemental Absorption refers to an Anemo construct absorbing Cryo/Electro/Hydro/Pyro and then dealing additional elemental damage corresponding to the element that was absorbed.
- An element that is "infused" in a Swirl reaction is the non-Anemo element involved in the reaction.
- Infusions are sometimes referred to using the term imbuement.