Dragonspine (historically known as Vindagnyr before Durin's fall) is a region released in Version 1.2, "The Chalk Prince and the Dragon." It is located south of Mondstadt, making it recognizable by its citizens, as quoted by Mona from the Where Ancient Stars Align event. There are some peculiarities with how the snow gathers but never melts on the mountain. Due to its extreme cold, Dragonspine is also one of the most dangerous places in Mondstadt.
- 1 History
- 2 Mechanics
- 3 World Quests
- 4 Puzzle Quests
- 5 Lore
- 6 NPCs
- 7 Enemies
- 8 Domains
- 9 Items
- 10 Points of Interest
- 11 Gallery
- 12 Soundtrack
- 13 Trivia
- 14 Change History
- 15 References
- 16 Navigation
This is Dragonspine, an enormous mountain that holds the remains of the venomous dragon, Durin, who fell here after the battle with Dvalin. Few adventurers dare attempt to conquer this unforgiving environment marked by deep snow, sheer cold, poisonous blood, and monsters. But such things will not dissuade the star-faring Traveler from journeying here...
There is evidence of a civilization inhabiting the mountain before Durin. Much of the archaeological remains are centered on the Entombed City - Ancient Palace. There are also records contained on Ancient Carvings; and in the descriptions of the weapon Snow-Tombed Starsilver, as well as the catalyst Frostbearer; and of the Princess' Box, Priest's Box, and Scribe's Box; as well as frescos within the Mural Room where the Snow-Tombed Starsilver is found.
Together they tell of a kingdom, a princess gifted with the power to foretell through visions and painting, and of a tragedy or fall of that kingdom. The fall is brought about by the Skyfrost Nail which falls and destroys the silver ley line tree on the mountain- this causes the change in climate from verdant to frostbitten. Artifacts found in Dragonspine tell the story of the Princess and people of that time, and the story of an outlander entrusted with the Starsilver weapon - when the outlander returns from his quest he finds the city dead and abandoned, and leaves the weapon in the secret chamber.
In this climate, grass does not burn, and players can gain the Sheer Cold gauge.
Sheer Cold is shared between characters and accumulates at a base rate of 1% per second (maxes the Sheer Cold gauge in 100 seconds, or 1 minute and 40 seconds). Certain conditions increase the rate of accumulation:
- Slow swimming increases the rate to 2% per second (maxes the Sheer Cold gauge in 50 seconds).
- Particularly cold surfaces or environments such as cold platforms, Snowstorms, and the Cryo Hypostasis increase the rate to 2.5% per second (maxes the Sheer Cold gauge in 40 seconds).
- Sprint swimming increases the rate to 2.85% per second (maxes the Sheer Cold gauge in 35 seconds).
Note that being Wet and standing in water do not accelerate Sheer Cold's accumulation.
When Sheer Cold begins to accumulate, a sound effect plays and a gauge appears over the active character's HP bar. When the gauge is 70% full, it starts to flash with a red glow, and it begins to beep every 2 seconds. In addition, the edges of the screen become frosty, reducing the player's peripheral vision. When the gauge is full, the gauge takes on a steady red glow, the beeping stops, and the edges of the screen frost over more to further refuse the player's peripheral vision.
- The frosty edges show up in pictures taken with the Kamera or Special Kamera but do not show up in pictures taken in Photo Mode.
When the Sheer Cold gauge is full, the active character will lose HP at a rate of 1% max HP + 150 HP per second. If not mitigated, then the active character will die to Sheer Cold in roughly one minute, give or take as much as half a minute depending on how much HP a character has.
- The conditions that accelerate Sheer Cold accumulation do not increase HP loss from Sheer Cold.
- Some max HP thresholds and how long it takes for all HP to be depleted by Sheer Cold:
- 6,200 HP - 30 seconds
- 10,000 HP - 40 seconds
- 15,000 HP - 50 seconds
- 22,000 HP - 60 seconds
- 35,000 HP - 70 seconds
- 60,000 HP - 80 seconds
Sheer Cold's accumulation and health loss from Sheer Cold pause while the player is engaged in dialogue with an NPC or an object.
Scarlet Quartz reduces 5% of the Sheer Cold gauge and pauses Sheer Cold accumulation. Additional Scarlet Quartz that are picked up will refresh the duration and reduce another 5% of the Sheer Cold gauge. Scarlet Quartz has no effect until it is picked up.
- Delicious Goulash slows the normal rate of accumulation by 0.5% so that Sheer Cold accumulates at a rate of 0.5% per second (maxes the Sheer Cold gauge in 200 seconds, or 3 minutes and 20 seconds).
- Normal Goulash only subtracts 0.4% so that Sheer Cold accumulates at 0.6% per second (maxes the Sheer Cold gauge in 167 seconds, or 2 minutes and 47 seconds).
- Suspicious Goulash only subtracts 0.3% so that Sheer Cold accumulates at 0.7% per second (maxes the Sheer Cold gauge in 143 seconds, or 2 minutes and 23 seconds).
- Goulash has no effect when the Sheer Cold accumulation rate is increased, such as within Snowstorms. It is unknown if this is intentional or an error.
Ancient Rimes are unique blocks of ice that cannot be melted with Pyro. Only by breaking a nearby Scarlet Quartz ore vein and imbuing oneself with its power will one be able to break Ancient Rime. The power dissipates after 25s and the ore vein regenerates after 15s.
- In the Mountains - Progression
- A Land Entombed - Journals
- Lost in the Snow - Side quest
- Ah, Fresh Meat! - Goulash Recipe
- Ancient Carvings - Snow-Tombed Starsilver Claymore
- The Festering Fang - Dragonspine Spear Polearm
- Frostbearing Tree - Frostbearer Catalyst
- The Great Mountain Survey - Side quest
- The Great Mountain Survey II - Side quest
- Secret Room - A room unlocked by gathering quest objects.
- Ragged Records - Records of an investigation team of long ago.
- Someone's Drifting Bottle - Set of bottles found by the shoreline.
- Record of Serial No. - Mystery code relayed by the Ruin Guards.
- Emergency Supply Point - Mystery set of interactables.
- Adventurer Camp
- Knotty — Treasure Hoarder
- Esther — Researcher
- Tommy — Adventurer
- Riese — Knight of Favonius
- Cryo Hilichurl Shooter
- Ice Shield Hilichurl Guard
- Cryo Hilichurl Grenadier
- Anemo Samachurl
- Cryo Samachurl
- Ice Shieldwall Mitachurl
- Frostarm Lawachurl
- Cryo Slime
- Large Cryo Slime
- Cryo Whopperflower
- Fatui Cryo Cicin Mage
- Fatui Pyroslinger Bracer
- Fatui Geochanter Bracer
- Fatui Cryogunner Legionnaire
- Fatui Hydrogunner Legionnaire
- Fatui Anemoboxer Vanguard
- Fatui Electrohammer Vanguard
- Ruin Guard
- Ruin Grader
- Treasure Hoarder Crusher
- Treasure Hoarder Hydro Potioneer
- Treasure Hoarder Scout
- Treasure Hoarder Seaman
- Treasure Hoarder Marksman
- Cryo Abyss Mage
- Hydro Abyss Mage
- Pyro Abyss Mage
- Defense Mechanism
- The Great Snowboar King
- Cryo Hypostasis
Points of Interest
The path leading up the mountain is not as steep as expected, but it's coated in ice the whole way, so you still have to be careful! It's so cold here that even the grass won't burn. It feels like every few steps we are looking for the next heat source to warm back up, and if we didn't, then we certainly won't last long out here.
Obtain Crimson Agates and offer them to the Frostbearing Tree in exchange for rewards.
Raise the Frostbearing Tree to Lv. 4 to obtain the blueprint for the "Warming Bottle" gadget.
Raise the Frostbearing Tree to Lv. 10 to obtain the blueprint for the 4-star Catalyst "Frostbearer".
At Lv. 8, the Crimson Wish system can be activated to acquire more Crimson Agate.
An ancient city that lies silent beneath the eternal ice.
Look for clues and investigate the secret of a now-destroyed kingdom: Snow-Tombed Starsilver.
A great cavern spanning the depths of Dragonspine. Peculiar glowing vegetation grows throughout the cavern, illuminating even the deepest, darkest passages with its frigid glow.
Skyfrost Nail is the area of Dragonspine's peak. Unlocking access to this area is part of the World Quest "In the Mountains".
The final resting place of the black dragon. The life force exuding from the dragon's core has dyed the steep valley's silvery snow in scarlet red. Has a glowing red cave of interest.
Outskirts of an Ancient City.
Vortex of Legends was posted onto the official YouTube channel, Spotify and iTunes/Apple Music on April 2, 2021. It is the fifth Genshin Impact album to be released, featuring 17 tracks from composer Yu-Peng Chen @HOYO-MiX, that were added to the game in Version 1.2 for the Dragonspine area.
|Soundtrack No.||Soundtrack Name||Player||Played in|
|4||Serene and Sweet Adieu|
|9||Striding in the Snowstorm|
|11||In the Desolate Hallway|
|12||The Flourishing Past|
|14||Spin of Ice Crystals|
|15||Finale of the Snowtomb|
- Much of Dragonspine's story, lore, and history were deliberately left ambiguous to allow players to develop their own interpretations of what happened. In "Snow-Covered Path" — Behind the Scenes of Dragonspine (3:50-4:37), open world level designer Xiao Ao says, "To enrich the experience of the Dragonspine story, we would take the core themes of Dragonspine — namely the Skyfrost Nail and the bygone civilization — and represent them from many angles. [...] In the end, the player develops their own interpretation of what happened."