The Abyss, also known as the Void Realm, is a term which refers to four interconnected concepts:
- As the Void Realm, it is one of the three realms in the world of Teyvat, alongside the Human Realm and the Light Realm. While the Human Realm and Light Realms are capable of adjusting to accommodate each other's existences, the Void Realm is devastating to both.
- A mysterious region of endless darkness located both beyond and beneath Teyvat, described as an entirely different world from Teyvat.
- An entity, apparently the will of the Abyss itself, which has spurred the Abyss Order's goal of overturning Celestia and ravaging Teyvat, and is addressed by the Kitsune Saiguu during her death.
- Creatures that are endemic to the Abyss, such as Riftwolves.
The Abyss' "unworldly" power is diametrically opposed to the Light Realm's and can corrupt entities from the Human Realm, which are under Celestia's dominion. The Void Realm's dark currents are analogous to the Human Realm's Ley Lines and the Light Realm's elemental currents. Its darkness is extremely harmful towards elemental beings such as Vishaps and elemental dragons, although they are capable of repelling the darkness by harnessing the Light Realm's power.
The Abyss' darkness is described as the only kind of power that could dye Morax's stone pillars black. Venti, another Archon, was poisoned by Durin's abyss-laced blood when his attempt to connect with Dvalin was interrupted by the Traveler; only by visiting the Symbol of Mondstadt's Hero at Windrise could Venti expunge the abyssal poison from himself. The rest of Durin's blood was spilt in Dragonspine, where it crystallized into Crimson Agate, a substance capable of reviving the Frostbearing Tree, which died thousands of years ago after the Skyfrost Nail dropped from Celestia. Previous attempts to revive the tree failed, indicating that Durin's blood had special properties.
Prolonged exposure to the Abyss can drastically change a person's personality or corrupt their entire being. The Abyss appears to be attracted to — and draws in — those with great ambition, such as Gold and Tartaglia. Those who have personal ties to the Abyss have been known to gain an uncanny ability to wreak havoc and conflict. Tsumi believes that the Abyss Order finds the Void Realm's power addictive.
Denizens of the Abyss appear to use an Enochian-based language, based on the text that can be seen above Abyss Mages' heads when talking to hilichurls and in their Adventurer Handbook description. Abyss monsters also have the ability to manipulate elemental energy without the use of Visions.
Time in the Abyss passes differently than it does in Teyvat; Tartaglia spent three months in there, but returned to a Teyvat that had only seen three days pass since his disappearance. When Takamine the Mistsplitter finally emerged from the Abyss, a long time had passed on Teyvat and Asase Hibiki was "no longer young." It is unclear whether this time scale disparity is consistent, or if it can change depending on certain factors.
Denizens of the Abyss
The following monsters have been affiliated with the Abyss, although they have not necessarily been linked to the Abyss Order:
The Abyss Order is an organization comprised mostly of non-human beings that harness both the elements and abyssal power, seeking to ruin Teyvat as retaliation for the cataclysm 500 years ago. Its members are former citizens of Khaenri'ah who were transformed into monsters through a yet unclear process. After being separated by the Unknown God, the Traveler's Sibling has also become the leader of the Abyss Order. The Abyss Order usually conscripts Hilichurls to do their work.
According to legend, before the Primordial One descended on the world, the elemental Light Realm and the abyssal Void Realm existed in diametric opposition to each other. The Primordial One created the Human Realm after defeating the Seven Sovereigns of the Light Realm, subjugating both nature and those of the Light Realm who hadn't escaped into the ocean.
During the war between the Primordial One and the Second Who Came, the region of Enkanomiya fell into the ocean depths, where the forces of the Light Realm and the Void Realm already existed. With the addition of a Human Realm aspect, the Vishaps who had fled into the oceans grew hostile towards the stranded people and were only fended off through the creation of the Dainichi Mikoshi and later, the intervention of the god Orobashi. The people of Enkanomiya built the Towers of the Three Realms to regulate the powers of the Human Realm, Light Realm, and Void Realm. These towers, known as Kunado's Locus, Yachimatahiko's Locus, and Yachimatahime's Locus, were hidden using techniques only known by shrine maidens and the Vassals of Watatsumi.
Five hundred years ago, during the cataclysm, the fall of Khaenri'ah's Eclipse Dynasty came at the hands of the gods. The "great sinner" Rhinedottir, also known as Gold, created an enormous amount of monsters containing abyssal power. These monsters proceeded to ravage Teyvat, causing widespread destruction. It is unclear whether the gods' attack on Khaenri'ah came before or after her actions, but the two events are inextricably linked. Following the gods' attack on Khaenri'ah, some of the people of Khaenri'ah were transformed into monsters through a curse. Dainsleif, despite being a royal guard of Khaenri'ah who was cursed with immortality himself, somehow was not converted into an Abyss monster and instead opposes the Abyss Order.
When Tartaglia was fourteen, he ran away from home, and after falling into a deep hole, he found himself in the Abyss. There, he encountered a swordswoman, likely the one named Skirk, who trained him, taught him to navigate the Abyss, and nurtured his ability to raise endless conflict no matter where he went.
After the Traveler retrieves the Bloodbranch Coral so Sangonomiya Kokomi could perform the Watatsumi Goryou Matsuri, a ritual used to reverse Watatsumi Island's Holy Soil phenomenon. However, unexpectedly, the phenomenon failed to reverse and merely halted. Concerned, the Divine Priestess sent a team to investigate, only to discover that Enkanomiya was shrouded in a mysterious darkness. This darkness turned out to be the encroachment of the Void Realm, instigated by Enjou, who convinced the Bathysmal Vishaps to disrupt the Towers of the Three Realms in favor of the Void Realm. The vishaps, eager to overthrow human presence, complied, only to discover that they were even more susceptible to abyssal power. Tsumi went to the Watatsumi troops in the guise of a shrine maiden to aid in repelling the Void Realm, rescue the vishaps trapped under the Dainichi Mikoshi, and perhaps even destroy the tower. Although she succeeds in her former two goals, she ultimately finds herself unable to carry through with her last objective.
- In both English and Chinese, the term "abyss" (Chinese: 深渊 Shēnyuān, lit. "deep abyss"), can refer to a literal bottomless (or unfathomably deep) pit, or used in a figurative sense to refer to a catastrophic or destructive situation.
- The Chinese name for the Void Realm is 虚无界, which is similar to but distinct from the "Void" used in Bathysmal Vishap Experimental Records, which is 虚空. As adjectives, both can mean "empty" or "void," but as nouns, 虚无 means "nothingness" whereas 虛空 means "empty space" or "sky."
|Language||Official Name||Literal Meaning|
- Weapon Ascension Material: Piece of Aerosiderite
- Weapon Ascension Material: Chunk of Aerosiderite
- Event Three Realms Gateway Offering Quest, Aphotic Diffusal: Three Realms Gateway Offering: The Eve
- Weapon Ascension Material: Bit of Aerosiderite
- Tartaglia's Character Story: Character Story 4
- Talent Level-Up Material: Shard of a Foul Legacy
- Weapon Ascension Material: Mask of the Kijin
- Loading Screen Tip: Abyss Order
Driven on by the Abyss, they covet the lives of those who live on the surface [...]
- Weapon Lore: Hakushin Ring
"So then, the dark will that gnaws at me..."
- Archon Quest, Prologue, Act II: Let the Wind Lead
- Weapon Lore: Frostbearer
- Tartaglia's Character Story: Character Story 5
- Artifact, Shimenawa's Reminiscence: Shaft of Remembrance
He will eventually return to me, even if he were to be [...] turned into a fierce beast by that dark defilement...
- Book: Breeze Amidst the Forest, Vol. 1
- Weapon Lore: Thundering Pulse
- Book: The Byakuyakoku Collection, Vol. 2 - Before Sun and Moon
- Loading Screen Tip: Light Realm
- Book: The Byakuyakoku Collection, Vol. 3 - Hydrological Studies in Byakuyakoku
- World Quest, Erebos' Secret: The Three Great Martial Trials
- Archon Quest, Chapter I, Act IV: A Soul Set Apart
- Tartaglia's Voice-Over: About Skirk
- Event Three Realms Gateway Offering Quest, Aphotic Diffusal: Three Realms Gateway Offering: Aftermath
- Wiktionary: 深渊
- Wiktionary: abyss
- Cambridge Dictionary: abyss (Definition 2)